Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Hip Hip Hooray!

My good friend finally got my Yahoo mail problem solved. It turns out that the MTU setting in the DSL router had to be changed. Of course, that makes as much sense to me as this sentence: "Whenever you go down in Holcombe, spot is on the brigand."

Just read an interesting article in the best global market magazine available, the Economist (aside for the occasional flub in political endorsements) about the "Anglo-ness" of America. They never state their article authors, which perturbs me. But anyway, they mention Albion's Seed, the best book on the subject of how Britain birthed modern America. They further describe the part of America that I know well:

James Webb claims that the Scots-Irish (who moved from the Appalachian
hinterland across the South and the mid-west and now, he reckons, number about
30m) are a big part of Mr Bush's supporters. They have never shied away from
using force to solve problems (Mr Webb was a tough marine in Vietnam and his
book is called “Born Fighting”). They are passionately keen on religion,
fiercely hostile to the state (particularly when it tries to take away their
guns) and instinctively loathe self-appointed “elites”, not least of the
Frenchified variety.

More about the Scots-Irish influence in my neck of the woods later.

1 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Kirk H. Sowell said...

You seem to have the same problem with the blockquote function that I do. Do you have any idea how it can be fixed?

I also noticed that my brother's blog profile was attached to yours. I heard about that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home