Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Even less than expected

Yes, I did buy a car. Yes, it was cheap. How cheap you ask? £170. That's right, £170. What kind of car could possibly run and cost roughly $320? This one. Okay, I wish mine looked that good, but its a Seat Marbella. With a 843 cc engine and gets around 40 mpg. It seems to run alright, but I've only driven it a mile or so because I have to pay the taxes. I got insurance today for £19 a month so it should be legal by tomorrow.

In a saga that won't end... our DSL modem did not come today as it was due to. Our internet service is supposed to be available tomorrow but that won't do much good without a modem. Mary is in touch with them trying to find out when we can expect it.

Encountered my first true bit of America bashing today. Not that I feel the need to defend everything America does, but when a guy makes a comment like "the healthcare and educational systems in Cuba are better than America" you have to wonder what he's smoking. Of course he was under the impression that the movie Fahrenheit 9/11 was banned in America because it was anti-Bush. Where has this guy been anyway? But it is nice to note that our country is apparently the source of all the evils in the world. I guess Saddam was right, we are the great Satan. I'm going to (rhetorically) puke now...

Sorry for that.

1 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger Tim Bulkeley said...

I just have to respond to the "America bashing" comments. As a representative abroad of the current imperial power, you better get used to people misunderstanding you. They will:
(a) not recognise that all Americans are different
(b) not assume that everything the US does is right and to be admired
(c) even be stupid and ill informed about the big wide world - as many US citizens are!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home