Monday, March 07, 2005

And the wind will whisper your name to me...

I came across this site the other day, Skinny's Wav Page, which has many of my favorite songs. I think this is legal because the wav files are low quality and not desirable for burning to a CD or MP3 player. However, if one turns his head away from the computer, he gets a little feeling that he's listening to an old one-speaker radio. I can't figure out a method to Skinny's madness in selecting artists, but he seems to prefer older stuff (90's or earlier), and the "greatest hits" of most artists. When I started blogging a few minutes ago, I was listening to John Denver's "For Baby, for Bobbie"... and morning bells will chime.

I just listened to a fascinating program on the BBC 4 website on "Gnosticism", an entity that can be elusive in definition. The interviewees were Tim Freek (sp.?), Michael Green, and Mark Goodacre. Wait...I'm on Hank Williams Sr. now... and as I wonder where you are, I'm so lonesome I could cry... The irony is that I covered Gnosticism and the Gospel of John in my GoJ class this morning. The new interest in gnostic documents like the Gospel of Thomas is, in my opinion, a prelude to a coming swell (in certain circles) of disdain for all things "orthodox" in Christianity. Popularized by flimsy stuff like The DaVinci Code, more and more people will assume that the record we have in the biblical gospels is just that of the "establishment", aka the early Catholic church, bent on maintaining power and crushing resistance, so that any version of Christianity from the first few hundreds years of the church is "valid.' Not that this is that new of a notion, but the opinion seems to be gaining steam. Anyway, you'll hear some hint of the potential for this in the BBC piece, and I think you'll also hear a solid rebuttal from Michael and Mark
... now its the Stanley Brothers ...There's an old holler tree down the road here from me...

We ate out for the first time since being here. I know, we've been here for over 2 months, but the desire to keep a control on the budget and Mary's ability to cook have left us reluctant to eat out much. Anyway, we had a good "English" meal. I ate "Cottage Pie" (though mine didn't look that good), and Mary had the traditional "Fish & Chips". Both were enjoyable, and Helen loved the high chair and the onlookers from nearby tables.

And lets close with....
Tennessee, Tennessee, a thousand miles from here...." (Homer & Jethro)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home