Friday, April 29, 2005

Bits and bobs

It's an English expression... but immediately intelligble to us Americans.

First, I've been reading alot by/about Austin Farrer today... brilliant. Though his work is more far reaching, he is probably best known for his solution to the synoptic problem - The Farrer Theory, or Markan priority without Q, etc. He was a major influence on Michael Goulder, who was in turn a major influence on my supervisor, Mark Goodacre. I'll post more about Farrer soon.

Second, I should mention another British favorite of mine from my college days: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a book by the late Douglas Adams. The book has been made into a movie which has recently come out over here and in the US (I think). IMHO, it is probably the best example of the absurd and hilarious British art of understatement. When my parents arrive in a week we plan to leave Helen with them for a while and go see it.

My Photo

Third, Mary, Helen, and I went to Cadbury World today (about 4 1/2 miles from our house). Nice tour, but I ate too much chocolate. Mary thinks that Spanish imperialism at least got one thing right - bringing chocolate to the Western world. Interesting facts about the Cadbury's: because they were Quakers they refused to drink or make alcohol, but they made a killing off of the chocolate that was allowed as a substitute among the rich... the Cadbury's were way ahead of their time in seeking decent working and living conditions for their employees... they pioneered 'milk chocolate' and thus most of the chocolate candies we now enjoy. Here's a picture of Helen from the playground.

My Photo

Fourth, have I mentioned that we have the creakiest house in the entire Western Hemisphere? Last night, when Mary was attempting to sneak upstairs, Helen was awakened. Normally, when she wakes up in the night she cries until one of us comes to get her and last night was no exception. Her hair was the wildest we've ever seen it, so we took this picture:
My Photo

Fifth, I must acknowledge the comment from Wil from way over there (or up there for most of my readers) in Maine. Many thanks for allowing me to keep my 1 pound 45p, however I'm left in that difficult position of not knowing whether you simply made a believable guess or know what the map represents. I'll have to get an Asian friend to render the verdict. BTW, the Tube is in London, but I promise to use the money on the Centro.

2 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Mommy of Boys said...

I always enjoy the "bobs and bits" posts! Helen really is the cutest little girl ever! She's a good combination of you and Mary.

Take care!

Capley Capes

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding your map and Wil's solution, I took it to work and asked a girl that speaks Japanese. She said that the writing gives no indication as to what the map is for. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Jenny P.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home