Thursday, May 05, 2005

Greatest Hits #2

Thanks to all who have suggested songs thus far. Please keep them coming.

I should be a little more clear about what I am looking for. Both of these guys know American music well. Jon's album collection would make a 58-year-old unreformed hippie living in a commune salivate. He probably knows Dylan better than Dylan does. The Eagles, Baez, Simon & Garfunkel, etc. are out simply because they know them well already. So I have to go for the lesser knowns... ones that are classics but not necessarily known worldwide. That is easier said than done when Lew's dad raised him on American country and bluegrass. With all that said, I've decided to add these songs to the list:

1. The Devil Went Down to Georgia by Charlie Daniels - though I suspect that they know it already.

2. Its Midnight in Montgomery by Alan Jackson - mentions Montgomery and Mobile.

3. Paint Me a Birmingham by Tracy Lawrence - not a spectacular song, but they'll get a kick out of the whole Birmingham thing.

4. You Don't Even Call Me By My Name by David Allan Coe - against my better judgment.

5. Walkin' in Memphis by Marc Cohn- though I really don't like the song.

6. The Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton - I'd originally planned to have it on the funny CD (still waiting for suggestions from BK, JSM, etc) but at BK's urging I'll put it on this one. Interestingly, Mary, Helen and I had a great time visiting Jon and Su in Coventry on Monday. We were singing songs to/with Helen and I asked them if they knew the Battle of New Orleans. They didn't, so I sang them a little. Doubt it will become a favorite.

Today is election day here and I consider myself privileged since elections only roll around every 5 years or so, depending on when they powers-that-be call for them. I'll have more to say about this later.

5 Comments:

At 3:27 AM, Blogger Barclay said...

LOL...I don't imagine that the Battle of New Orleans would be a hit for the Brits...After officially becoming 0-2 against the Yanks in wars, the battle raged on before news of the Treaty of Ghent reached the States...Andrew Jackson became a war hero and later Prez...and now you know the rest of the story.

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Barclay said...

I've got to insist one more time on something from the Alabama Sacred Harp Singers. It doesn't get any more folksy or traditional than this stuff.

My advisor is a Brit who knows more about American music (primarily rock and R&B) than I ever thought about knowing. Here's an interesting an excerpt from an article about historian Wayne Flynt's experience of finding an Alabamian's music in London: "[Flynt's] lecture highlighted the career of Erskine Hawkins, a black man from Ensley, who developed the swing sound that found more popularity among whites when copied by Glenn Miller. Flynt said he found it ironic that he couldn't find any CDs of Hawkins in his hometown, but could find his entire collection at a record shop in London."

On the funny CD, my only request is "Slim Kermie." Sonya probably has more.

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger Barclay said...

one more suggestion for the 'funny' cd...i can't recall the title...'the scotsman,' maybe...but i do remember the infamous last line: 'lad, i don't know where you've been, but i see you've won first prize.'

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Barclay said...

next suggestion for funny cd: 'dropkick me, jesus, through the goalposts of life'

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Barclay said...

folk cd suggestion: "new slang" by the shins

 

Post a Comment

<< Home