Monday, May 02, 2005

Greatest Hits

I plan to compile two CDs over the next couple of weeks and I need help from you.

I. I promised my friends Jon and Lew that I'd make them a CD with classic Southern flavor. They both like/love American country/bluegrass/folk music. I'd like you to suggest songs I might want to put on the CD. They already know about Incubus, Blink 182, Herman's Hermits and all those, so stick to country/folk please. I'm concentrating on songs with a geographical flavor. Below I have listed some of the songs I will most likely include:

1. Sweet Southern Comfort by Buddy Jewell - not the best song ever, but certainly reflects the South and, more importantly, Erwin Nichols and Judge Lee of Lawrence County, AL. Everyone with any age on them in LC remembers Judge Lee, and I met Erwin Nichols last fall (autumn). The presence of "Roll Tide Roll" on the song did give me pause.
2. My Home's in Alabama by Alabama - nuff said.
3. Rocky Top by the Osborne Brothers - No, its not the fight song of the University of Tennessee, though they have co-opted it. But my memories are of Coach Andy...
4. Ode to Billy Joe by Bobbie Gentry - What was it they threw off that bridge?!?
5. Sweet Sunny South by various artists - I encountered this song in a book by Pat Conroy and discovered it is quite old.
6. Mountain Dew by the Stanley Brothers
7. Blue Moon of Kentucky by Bill Monroe
8. Lousiana Man by Bobbie Gentry - I wish she'd of continued singing past the 70's. Turns out that she even had a TV show here in the UK for a while in the 70's. Who'd of thunk it?
9. Feelin' Good Again by Robert Earl Keen - I was introduced to this gem by Kevin Duncan, middle school coach and all around savant.
10. I Saw the Light by Hank Williams - They just need a little exposure.

II. The other CD will be a compilation of the greatest hits of the ridiculous CDs I've sent out to my friends over the past few years. I'd like them to suggest their favorites.

8 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Barclay said...

Barclay and Sonya's suggestions:

-Charlie Daniels Band, "Devil Went Down to Georgia" (http://www.flashplayer.com/music/thedevilwentdowntogeorgia.html has a great flick to go with the movie)

-Tracks 2-5 and 9-10 from the soundtrack of O Brother Where Art Thou

-If you're looking for poor, white, racist music, include David Allen Coe, "If That Ain't Country" and Hank Sr., "Kaw-Liga"

-Simon&Garfunkel, Tracks 1, 3, 5-9, and 14 from their Greatest Hits album (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000024YL/104-8790994-1691160?v=glance)

-bob dylan, "blowin' in the wind"

more later...

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EVEN IF IT DOESN'T FIT INTO THE GENRE I HOPE YOU WILL USE SWEET HOME ALABAMA...Lynyrd Skynyrd

TUPELO HONEY-Van Morrison
ANGEL FROM MONTGOMERY-Bonnie Raitt..WALKIN'IN MEMPHIS(Mark Cohn or be wild and do the version by Cher),THE SOUTH'S GONNA DO IT AGAIN;STARS FELL ON ALABAMA;DIXIE ON MY MIND (Hank Williams,Jr)NOT ALL COUNTRY SONGS,BUT GOOD TUNES THAT MAKE THE SOUTH SOUND FINE

HOW ABOUT ORANGE BLOSSOM SPECIAL AND FOX ON THE RUN........CLASSICS

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about some Patsy Cline, maybe "Sweet Dreams" and the Kentucky Headhunters' "(Let's all go Down to) Dumas Walkers'" (not sure of the spelling)?

Jenny P.

 
At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely, you are going to include something by Kenny Rogers, I know at one time in your very young days he was your favorite, "Coward of the County", specifically.

Also you have to have "Hello Darlin" by Conway Twitty, and "You Don't Have to Call Me Darlin" by David Allen Cole.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Barclay said...

That would be you there, Bob.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Barclay said...

you should also include some joan baez to capture some folk music from the '60s

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Barclay said...

eagles, "seven bridges road"

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Barclay said...

-blind lemon jefferson, "rabbit foot blues"

-anything from the alabama sacred harp singers...in fact, this one is a must in my opinion.

-jimmy driftwood (?), "running cadence"...a.k.a., "in 1814 we took a little trip (battle of new orleans)"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home